Ocean Change: Adaptation and Mitigation Opportunities and Challenges
This side event will provide a platform to explore the opportunities & challenges for nations and stakeholders related to observing and understanding ocean change; local & regional adaptation mechanisms to a rapidly changing ocean; including the conservation and restoration of carbon rich ecosystems, the safe implementation of ocean carbon dioxide removal technologies; and climate smart ocean management for supporting sustainable development and protecting ocean life and those that depend on it.
- Kirsten Isensee, Programme Specialist, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO
- Steve Widdicombe, Director of Science and Deputy Chief Executive Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML), Co-chair of the Global Ocean Acidification, Observing Network (GOA-ON) Executive Council and Co-lead on the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development endorsed programme Ocean Acidification Research for Sustainability (OARS)
- Atsushi Watanabe, Ocean Policy Research Institute (OPRI)
- Chris Vivian, CO-Chair | GESAMP WG 41
- Jean-Pierre Gattuso, Research Director | Laboratoire d'Océanographie de Villefranche, CNRS, and Sorbonne University."